Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chocolate and Pets is a Deadly Mix

Chocolate may taste great to humans, but it is deadly for dogs.
When it comes time for treats, many people love chocolate. Some children and unaware adults may try to feed chocolate to their pets, potentially poisoning them in the process.
The Posh Puppy Boutique cares about dogs, and cats too. For that reason, we strong urge you to make sure all forms of chocolate—cookies, candy, etc.—are kept far away from pets.
Why is chocolate poisonous to dogs? Because it contains the stimulant theobromine, which is similar to caffeine. This natural chemical affects the nervous system and the heart. Too much of it can cause muscle tremors, seizures, coma and death.
How can you recognize chocolate poisoning? By your pet vomiting, having diarrhea or being hyperactive. As more of the stimulant is absorbed, your pet will become restless, hyperactive, show twitching muscles, increased urinating or excessive panting.
The amount of chocolate required to cause severe problems in your pet varies depending on the type of chocolate, their size, weight and health and the amount of time between ingestion and treatment.
Different types of chocolate contain varying amounts of theobromine. White chocolate has the least, requiring 250 pounds to poison a 125-pound dog. Milk chocolate is the next most powerful, with 2-3 candy bars enough to poison a 10-pound dog. Sweet cocoa is much more powerful, with only one-sixth of a pound poisoning a 10-pound dog.
Just think how much chocolate could be in an Easter basket or Halloween bag. A pound or two could be enough to kill your pet.
The most deadly form of chocolate is baking chocolate, with a single one-ounce square enough to seriously injure—and possibly kill—a 10-pound dog.
In addition to the type of chocolate, the larger and heavier your dog is, the more chocolate required to harm him or her because it takes longer for the stimulant to be absorbed.
What can you do if you suspect chocolate poisoning? Call your vet immediately. If your vet is not available, contact a 24-hour emergency pet clinic. You can also check with a Poison Control Center such as the National Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 (your credit card could be charged a $65 consultation fee).
If no one is available, induce vomiting using small quantities of hydrogen peroxide. The suggested dose is mix three percent hydrogen peroxide to water solution and give your dog 1-2 teaspoons for a smaller dog or 3-4 tablespoons for a larger dog, by mouth every 10-15 minutes until your dog vomits.
Next, give your dog an activated charcoal slurry using a product such as Taliban (1 teaspoon for dogs weighing up to 25 pounds, 2 teaspoons for heavier dogs), which will absorb the chocolate. Check with your vet on how to obtain Taliban.

Post a Comment